...although we have walked a thousand seasons from you and are yet to walk a thousand others to get you, we have to start somewhere, to get to the Nation of Africa

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

How am going to tell my story one day


It is going to be quite remarkable, I assure you, like when I went to a junior class in college and my lecturer thought I could advise the younglings. Of course I knew the obvious “read hard” but I had to make it dramatic. I remembered how I had failed terribly during my last year in high school when I was struggling with myself and hard to read well into the night and wake up early in the morning just to get my grades up in time for the national examination so I didn’t shame my family as a failure in a big expensive school. I thought that could make a good rhetoric so I conjured up a tale and told the young lings that in my first year I had it rough and could not catch up. That regardless of where they are presently they could turn their fortune and pass students could magically end up being first class students. All they needed was determination, reading smart, like I did. It was a lie. At least it was not my story. But what amazed me was the same teacher who had been marking my exams and knew I was lying concurred and even gave my story an undertone. “Yes,” he said. “You see everyone of you has his destiny in his hands in fact even you can turn around your grades as he did.” Maybe pushed by the need to encourage some of his students or maybe he did not even remember how I was performing but he lied with me.

Thence I knew how I will tell my story one day. It doesn’t have to be true, just crafty rhetoric. So I picked around some phrases from those who tell their stories. How far they have come, how they have suffered, how they have succeeded beyond all odds.

Coming from a modest family with most of my needs catered for would not do for a good story. I’ll have to have come from a poor family. Am lucky I come from Busia, no big town it compensates really. Like see in a country where secondary school slots give priority to countryside learners and people from town register for their final exams in the rural areas to raise their chances, you would know the privilege of belonging there. So in my story I would lay claim to coming from a peasant farming family in Busia just like I did when applying for higher education loans bursary to raise my chances of getting maximum loan.

My schooling has to be apathetic people must wonder how I even made it to high school leave alone university. It must be rural in elementary and supported by family and friends in mchangos for secondary and funded by the higher leans board in university. I must have walked to school with barely enough to eat . I must have worn torn clothes and barely clothed. I must have studied hard and like the proverbial Kenyan runner running away from poverty so fast that he becomes an marathoner by adaptation I must have envisioned my success early in life.

My career has to have started modest. An internship in an organization that did not pay a cent and required me to be in the office by 8 am. Being new to the gerrymandering affairs of Nairobi town I will have gotten lost a couple number of time. I will always lack fare and I will have to walk for long distances. The great trek will span from probably Muthurwa market joining the masses from eastlando walking into town. I must have walked antil my feet are sore all the way to westlands where private offices are in plenty. There where food vends for my week’s worth of expenses so all I had to depend on was tea during lunch hours. And then I will have walked back to town and practically ran all the way to the train station and catch the Zion moments before the loud voice bellows, “the car of smoke (train) going to makadara, umoja, dandora and lastly ruiru is on the first line and is about to leave” in Swahili, and jump on the last five coaches before embarking on the journey back to the annals of eastlando.

For my home I will have stayed in a brother place or a sister’s place like dependency rates predict and then moved of to a tine bedsitter and paid rent late and always had the power switched off for not being able to pay.

I will have barely survived from hand to mouth incredibly scrapped for life and I will have risen from the ashes.

The art of telling ones story the Kenyan style is not really complete if you do not have a turning point. It has to be dramatic, like a street kid who tried to hang himself and the rope miraculously snaps, or a drug addict who came to the point of death or a whore who was surprised by the generosity of a white preacher. And yes the Jesus factor has to be in there somewhere. A moment of reckoning, a sotto castigation. Or  alternatively a mentor seeing the ingenious in the main character and changing the fortune or a literally prize like Binyvanga’s

So I’ll tell my story one day, sitting before eager audiences amazed by magnanimity of my achievement. Admiring how far I have come and wishing in my story there is an element of my life they can lay claim to even morose, like odyssey who had initially refused to go to war and asserted that even Achilles had dressed as a woman to avoid the war and were it not for the trick of offering a gift of weapons and embroided cloth that he could not avoid choosing weapons that rued his guise. Yes, I will be seated before an audience preferably national TV but who knows I might have to contend to the audience of four children who I intend to have or a couple of drunkard in a local pub depending on my success. And I will tell a lie of a story that must impress and the whole world or the small audience or the intoxicated audience will urge me on amazed by my achievements beyond all odds. They will know half the story is a lie, and they will be making a story of their own lying through and through even to themselves.

Perhaps that’s just the way we see ourselves, through misty mirrors.

No comments:

Post a Comment